Sep 8, 2009

Clients give us tips on how THEY are being green for a chance to win a Le Reve Facial!!

Denise's Green Tip: I use plastic grocery bags as trash can liners and paper grocery bags as recycling containters.

Diana's Green tip: When food shopping I always try to bring my own reusable bag. If I forget, at home I reuse all of the plastic back from the grocery store as many times as I can before I decide to throw them away. I use them as trash bags, to store produce from the farmers market, to store shoes, and more. Plastic takes 1,000 of years to decompose so reducing the amount of plastic waste is key to being GREEN.

Cameron's Green Tip: We do almost all of our washes (except for diapers) on the "cold" cycle--and then dry on a wooden drying rack in the sun--much easier than a clothesline!

Donald's Green Tip: Electronics are never really turned off, so I have put all of my electronic devices - computeres, stereos, DVD players, etc. - on power strips so that I can make sure all the power is completely off.

Eileen's Green Tip: Stop buying paper napkins and go back to the old cloth ones. Saves lots of money too!

Emily's Green Tip: I bought a Brita! No more plastic water bottles...Using less paper towels & turning off lights when possible...
All the small things add up... : )

Teri's Green Tip: We're buying large 10 gallon containers of water and using the green canteens instead of plastic bottles.

Jennifer's Green Tip: At home, I have a separate trash can for recyclable items, as well as a bag for bottles and cans, so that I can ensure I don't trash things that can be reused. While I do not have a recylcle bin at my own home, I always make sure to take the recycle with me when going to someone's who does so I can make sure it is reused.

Shannon's Green Tip: my "green" practice at home is using the plow to porch organic produce weekly delivery service. i can't always make it to farmers' market and i wanted to truly eat local/seasonal and support our local growers, so i started using the service in may. most of the local markets, even tri county produce and lazy acres, do not actually carry local produce, which frustrated me because eating local should be one of the simplest ways to live more sustainably, particularly in such an ag-rich region like sb county. so this turned into a very happy solution, and it also feels good to support local businesses. it also has me experimenting in the kitchen with ingredients i wouldn't have normally bought, so it's helping me become a better cook and opening me up to new flavors!

Luce's Green Tip:Grow my own vegetable garden using organic fertilizer instead of commercial ones.
Wash my fruit trees with my hose often to prevent diseases and insects infestation . No chemical treatments if fungus or insects occur. Always wash clothes with cold water. Recycle. Do not use plastic bottles but stainless steel instead. Go to farmer's market every week to buy local. My most recent one: use only organic products like"JURLIQUE" on my skin since the skin absorbs chemicals directly.

Julie's Green Tip: My husband uses old scrap wood to build things instead of buying new wood.

Janice's Green tip: My "green" thing I do at home is always use reuseable shopping bags like the Trader Joes bags..

Joe's Green Tip: My kids and I constructed a compost bin from 4 recycled shipping pallets by screwing them together to form a box and wrapping chicken wire around it to keep in the debris. Was really easy. http://www.yourguidetogreen.com/TheUrbanFarm/2009/02/24/making-a-compost-bin-from-wooden-pallets/

Anyone who has a yard or a garden has plant debris, so rather than let it go to waste, or pay to have it hauled away, we constructed a compost bin (one could also purchase one at the local hardware store). and installed it near the trash receptacles. We have decreased our trash by at least 1/3 by composting food scraps (not incl meat or dairy), lawn cuttings, leaves, coffee grounds and filters, egg shells, paper towels, etc, etc. The best part is that the kids seem proud that are doing something for Mother Earth. Yay!

No comments: